Look and see? Or close your eyes and feel?

Here is a post from the facebook student group from an adult student named Jeff who wants to play songs that he enjoys, and also is learning to be able to "jam", that is to be able to sit in with other players and play familiar tunes.  The topic of whether to look at the guitar as you are playing or to look away has come up before.  Some beginners recognize the need to do so but haven't quite the ability at first, some experienced players aren't looking away enough.  It is important for your progress to be familiar enough with the guitar that you can "look off"; at your audience, at your sheet music or just look off into space and enjoy the sound and feel of the instrument.  It's a pretty good post, especially if you are looking for ways to take the next step.  Here's Jeff:

"I've decided that looking at the guitar while playing is now holding me back. While necessary in the beginning, it now seems to be a real distraction that prevents me from developing other the senses needed to play at the next level. Namely to play (pick) strings by feel and by ear rather than visually. By not looking at the guitar I can better balance my attention between my hands and better associate strings I'm fretting and those I'm playing. I have to play everything slower (for now) but I'm certain it will pay off very quickly. Perhaps this isn't news to anyone but it has been a real eye opener for me."
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts